Elisha’s Arrival

I suppose I should jot down in a bit more detail Elisha’s birth.

As you know from previous entries, I was hospitalised a couple of times due to borderline blood pressure which my obstetrician wanted to keep an eye on. Immediate induction was not possible because the baby was sitting too high and too many complications could ensue.

On Monday the 19th I was put back into hospital for the second time, and this time Dr B. said I probably wouldn’t leave without a baby in my arms (or Brett’s depending on who was doing the carrying). I was put in a double room – by myself – and the waiting began.

Fortunately the following day another antenatal lady was admitted to the ward and put in the room with me. I think we both would have gone crazy without each other’s company, and so I’m very thankful.

Monday was Dr B.’s last day and Tuesday I met Dr P. who was covering for him. The poor guy was also covering for another ob on holidays. I think he was pretty busy.

Finally on Wednesday Dr. P announced that I would be having the baby on Friday by caesarian section. It was a great relief to finally have an end in sight. Again, induction was not an option as the baby was still very high.

So with a mixture of emotions the final two days were waited out. I think during the whole time of waiting I was also silently hoping that I would spontaneously go into labour and thus avoid a c-section, but that didn’t happen.

Thursday night I attempted to fall asleep by myself. I had been prescribed some tablets to help me get to sleep but had decided to see if I could get to the Land of Nod on my own. I think it was about 11pm and I had just drifted off to sleep when my telephone rang. It was theatre asking for some supplies. “Sorry you’ve got a room”, I explained. But that had done it, I was wide awake again. I took the tablet and waited for it to kick in. And waited. I did eventually fall asleep, but not for all that long.

I was scheduled for the first caesarian of the day. 8am. So about 6 I gave up trying to sleep any more and showered and got dressed into the very glamourous gown I’d been provided the night before. Brett was very good and arrived at 7, earlier than I’d asked him to, so I didn’t even have to start worrying that he’d slept in.

On the way down the theatre I joked to the PCA (orderly) that the baby would be a boy, because we hadn’t decided on a boy’s name, we were still trying to decide between two. This was about 7.30 and Dr C. the anesthetist began the epidural soon after. This was probably the hardest part of the whole caesarian. I had to sit curled up, chin tucked in and head down for the time it took him to insert the needle. The way that they test the epidural is in properly is very strange. Apparently the nerves which sense pain and the nerves which sense temperature are very closely related, so they use an ice pack to test how far the numbness has gone. Dr C. would put an ice pack on my arm, and then on different parts of my torso to see where it had taken effect.


Once the epidural was in all I could feel where I was being touched was a pins and needles and pressure sensation. It was quite unusual. But no pain. Almost before I realised what was happening, and after a few interesting sounds, we were told that our baby was about to be born and did Brett want the sheet lowered so he could watch. He opted for “No” – just to be safe. Next thing you know there is a baby crying. It is 8.25am


Then the paediatrician brought around this crying baby that was all arms and legs, and… it’s a boy!! The paediatrician – Dr S. was also pointing out to us that he had a knot in his cord. Brett thought that he was being told to do something and grabbed hold of the clamp. “Don’t touch that!!” Poor Brett almost drained Elisha onto the floor.



After a quick peek at our boy he was taken over to a table to be checked over and cleaned up. “Daddy” got to cut the cord in a manner of speaking, seeing as it had already been cut, but he got to trim it to a shorter length. Then the still nameless bub was wrapped up, being transformed from all arms and legs into a small bundle.



The last part of the caesarian was quite uncomfortable. As someone aptly described – it felt like someone was washing the dishes in my stomach. No pain, just strange sensations. The boy was brought back all bundled up and placed on my chest for a cuddle. Following in the footsteps of my mother, I had a bit of a cry. A happy cry that is. Once I was good to go we were taken to recovery, but not for as long as I thought only for about ten or fifteen minutes.



Then it was back to the ward, where he was measured and weighed, checked over again and dressed. The little man came in at 3.725 kg (8lbs 3oz) and 52cm long. His apgar scores were 9 & 10. Somewhere about this time we finally decided on his name too. Elisha Morgan Adams.


Now that he had been thoroughly checked it was time for a feed. While having his first meal Gran arrived and she later had a cuddle. Michelle from the bakery visited too – she was coming in to visit me, and didn’t realise that Elisha had made an appearance. We also started phoning everyone to let them know the news. During this time Elisha had not been maintaining his temperature very well so he was taken off to the nursery to be kept warm. He was also put on oxygen in the humidicrib a bit later, and the low oxygen levels explained the grunting noises he had been making earlier. Dr S. the paed later said that these measures were probably not really necessary, but better to err on the side of caution.



It was very strange to have had a baby but not have him with me. I missed him very much. Although I was kept quite preoccupied. I was moved to a private room and given a “bath”, which was very refreshing. Then Nan had her first visit. Because Elisha was in the nursery I had to express milk for him. He didn’t come back from the nursery until the following morning. All night every time someone walked down the corridor I woke in anticipation that they might be bringing my baby back, so I didn’t really get all that much sleep.

And that is the tale of Elisha’s arrival.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *